Third Pod from the Sun



Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 4.46.01 PM.png

BluDiagnostics has created a product that measures a women’s spit and gives estradiol and progesterone levels, the two major hormones that determine a woman’s fertility. They tasked my team and I with creating an app that partners with the device.

The team at BluDiagnostics was very open to suggestions and design ideas, but had some requirements:

  1. The app must have a community space for users to communicate with each other

  2. Users need to be able to daily input their information

  3. A tool is needed to share a user’s medical information with a medical professional

I was assigned as the project Lead & Manager, and created a detailed process scheduled and tasks for each of my team members, as well as managed communications with the client.


Competitive Analysis

Why: We conducted a competitive analysis of the space because a lot of users are already familiar with a few different apps, and we wanted to get a chance to see what they prefer.

Process: We split competitors into 3 different groups: mobile apps that take medical information and give data (23&Me), fertility apps (Clue, Fertility Friend), and fertility apps that come with a medical device (Ava, Kindara). We made note of the different features each app provided, what users liked about each app, and what they disliked.

blu market research.gif

Market Research

Why: Since this is a medical app, we needed to get a better understanding of infertility, namely what causes it and what resources are available.

Process: There were spaces that we narrowed in on; what factors affect a women’s fertility, how is it addressed, and where do users go to get this information. We discovered that online forums and support groups are especially popular among women struggling with fertility.

Left, Dr. Eric Surrey; Right, Dr. Mark Surrey

Left, Dr. Eric Surrey; Right, Dr. Mark Surrey

Expert Interviews

Why: Since we were creating a mobile app that is to work in partnership with a medical device, I decided that talking to experts in the field will help us better understand what features the app should have. Additionally, since our client wants the data to eventually be given to a specialist, I wanted to get some insight on how experts felt about these fertility apps.

Process: I was lucky enough to be related to two fertility specialists, Dr. Eric Surrey and Dr. Mark Surrey. I spoke to both about the discussions they have with their clients, how they explain complicated medical information, and their dealings with additional products such as apps and at home fertility tests. I gathered a lot of insightful information, such as the use of graphs to explain complicated medical terminology and the distrust of apps because “they don’t speak to the individual”.


User Interviews

Why: To make a more effective and user friendly mobile app, we wanted to hear from the type of women who would be using it on a regular basis.

Process: First we sent out a screener survey to ensure that we would be speaking to women between the ages of 25-50 struggling with infertility. We released the screener on numerous social media sites, slack channels, and reddit forums. We received a low number of results, and ultimately interviewed 3 users. Our questions focused on their interactions with mobile apps, what they struggle with when gathering information, and what their pain points were.


White Board Exercise & User Flow

Why: I wanted to create a way to combine all the information we had gathered, and make sure everything, whether liked or disliked, was addressed in our final features, layout and user flows.

Process: With my teammates, we first made lists of who our competition was, what users liked and disliked about the apps, our clients wants, and the pain points of users and experts. Working off of that, we started building out our 4 main features, and the layout of each. Once we had it finalized, we went back and made sure that every pain point listed out before was addressed, everything our client wanted was included, and things users liked in the competition was also included. We narrowed the app into 4 sections: Dashboard, Education, Community & Account.



Why: My team and I needed to get our ideas down on paper, and compare and contrast ideas in a fast and easy way.

Process: My team and I split up features to create wireframes for. I focused on Education & Dashboard. I split Dashboard into two sections, logging your daily information and analysis/trends. I wanted the logging section to feel easy as possible, using dials and buttons to enter data rather than having to type in answers. I used a lot of the research from my expert interviews for the trends sections, using graphs to display information.


Style Guide

Why: With 3 team members, it was important to establish a style guide so that we were consistent in our colors, text, etc. 

Process: We stuck to the blues that our client had in their logo, and expanding further in our colors and styling. Our visual designer lead this initiative.

blu marketing+gif.gif


Additionally, we were tasked with coming up with a new name for the mobile app. We wanted a name that felt familiar, and connected to the device and company, but not as serious. We settled on the name blu. While we did have concerns about the similarity to Clue (another fertility app), we felt that it was on brand for the company, while also feeling playful and casual.


Final Clickable Product

Below is a clickthrough of the final prototype. It was created in Sketch by our visual designer, and I animated the latest version in Principle.


Watch a full run through of the product with narration

Learn more about the client, product and design process with my case study